19 February 2011

Hot To The Infinite Power | The Infinity Chili

Measuring 1.17 million on the Scoville Scale - an official measure of spicy heat - the Infinity chilli is so hot that it carries a health warning. Grown by Nick Woods, 39, the chilli - which was grown in a greenhouse - made it to the Guinness Book of Records after out-spicing the previous title holder, the Bhut Jolokia, from India. Mr Woods, who runs his own business Fire Foods from his home in Grantham [U.K.], said he grew the record breaking chilli by accident.

He explained: "I didn't set out to grow it, it's really easy for chillies to crossbreed in a greenhouse, one day I just saw this new chilli plant growing. When I tried it tasted nice at first, like an odd fruity taste, the effect is delayed. Then it hit me. All of a sudden I felt it burning in the back of my throat, so hot that I couldn't speak.

“I began to shake uncontrollably, I had to sit down, I felt physically sick. I really wouldn't recommend anybody eat it raw like that.” Former RAF worker Mr Woods started his chilli business five years ago after being given a plant by a friend.
Click image to enlarge

Arbroath

No comments: