31 October 2014
16 October 2014
13 October 2014
11 October 2014
09 October 2014
There's no way to describe the feeling of returning home to find that your 9-pound dog has chewed up an ant-bait ... the one with a warning to keep it away from pets and children.
Bisou's vet referred panic-y me to the ASPCA-sponsored Animal Poison Control which quickly and efficiently researched the type of poison, consulted a vet, and assured me that the worst-case scenario involved only vomiting and diarrhea. They explained that ant baits are fat- or peanut-butter-flavored to be especially appealing to ants. Fortunately, the poison is targeted to insects, not mammals, and the vet was actually more concerned with how much of the plastic casing she had ingested.
Bisou is fine. She had to work pretty hard to get to the bait and I think she regarded it as another puzzle she had to solve to get to a tasty treat. The reason there is no dog-shaming pic here is that she wasn't in the least concerned or ashamed.
We are your best resource for any animal poison-related emergency, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. If you think that your pet may have ingested a potentially poisonous substance, call (888) 426-4435. A $65 consultation fee may be applied to your credit card.The $65 charge includes any follow-up phone calls and was worth every penny considering the circumstances.
And, just because ...
Beacoup thanks to Ms. and Mr. tomB for being such great step-parents.