02 October 2012

IWDRM | Movie Stills Come To Life

“The population census has got him down as “dormanted”. The Central Collective Storehouse computer has got
him down as “deleted”. […] Information Retrieval has got him down as “inoperative”. And there’s another one -
security has got him down as “excised”. Administration has got him down as “completed”.
… He’s dead.”
Brazil (1985)

“A boy’s best friend is his mother.”
Psycho (1960)

“The dead know only one thing: It’s better to be alive.”
Full Metal Jacket (1987)

“Tell me, what is love?
… Love is first widening my eyes a little bit and quickening my breathing a little and
warming my skin and touching … And so on, exactly so.
Thank you, Sheila.”
A.I. Artificial Intelligence (2001)

"Words create lies. Pain can be trusted.”Audition (2000)

“I have to roam the streets and I always sense that someone is following me.
… It is me! And I shadow myself.”
M (1931)

“Because I want to fit in.”American Psycho (2000)

“As the sound of the playgrounds faded, the despair set in.
Very odd, what happens in a world without children’s voices.”
Children of Men (2006)
Animated GIFs have gone far beyond dancing babies and cats playing the piano. Occupying a twilight zone between still photography and full-motion video, the are getting close enough to artwork to deserve their puffed-up new name, cinematoGIFs. They’re fascinating, because unlike still photography that grabs an instant in time and moving pictures that depict longer durations, these images represent a few seconds that are stuck in time, playing over and over in a circular loop, suggesting infinity.
Photographer Gustaf Mantel combines the world of cinema and stills with his new collection of cinematoGIFs, celebrating the work of Stanley Kubrick and other classic filmmakers. It’s a subtle effect, but the images’ compelling and ghostly beauty makes it hard to look away.
Love this site. Added the RSS feed to the Lanny-yap sidebar.

Mashable via Stephen Fry

No comments: